Friday, April 17, 2009

Desires & Enlightenment

So the past few days I've been seriously contemplating my friend's question on an earlier post -- do you know any enlightened beings? I'm still thinking about that very good question. I've spoken with some other Buddhist friends on their response to this question.

Funny then, that I found this "guidance" in today's "Buddhism Day by Day: Wisdom for Modern Life", by Daisaku Ikeda. In some Buddhist schools of thought, the teaching is to eliminate desires because the belief is that they are a source of suffering. Nichiren Buddhim turns this concept on its head.

Daisaku Ikeda states:

"The goal is not to eliminate desires; it is what one desires that is important. Earthly desires are enlightenment. The desire for supreme enlightenment, the search for enlightenment, is enlightenment. Satisfaction with one's accomplishments might seem like humility, but to underestimate life's potential is actually great arrogance."