Friday, April 17, 2009

What Being a Nichiren Buddhist Means To Me


A friend from law school who has enjoyed reading this blog asked me to explain what being a Nichiren Buddhist means to me.

I could write pages and pages in response. But I don’t want to drag on – I’ll try to cut to the chase in as few words as possible.

In this Buddhist practice we aim to improve our lives by taking up the challenge to create value, to live without fear, to take responsibility for our circumstances, to care for our families, and to live with compassion for others. Through chanting, our core philosophy is expressed through a process of inner transformation that centers on the idea that the causes we make through our thoughts, words, and actions have influence that extends far beyond their immediate context.

As we chant, we undergo an individual, inner revolution, and we awaken to the responsibility we each have for our own circumstances and for our environment. This inner transformation leads us to take the actions that bring about personal fulfillment and happiness. Through chanting, we unlock our limitless potential and we dance with a free spirit: personal fulfillment, total and complete freedom.

We chant the words "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo" which roughly translates into “I devote my life to the Mystic Law of the Lotus Sutra.” Richard Causton, The Buddha in Daily Life, An Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin, p. 97) (Rider-Random House, 1995). It’s called the Mystic Law because it explains the mutually inclusive relationship of life and all phenomena.

The Soka Gakkai, which translated means value-creating society, is a Buddhist movement that promotes peace and individual happiness based on the writings of Nichiren Daishonin, the 13th century Japanese monk who devoted his life to the happiness of each of us. He studied the 80,000 or so teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha, who lived 2,500 years ago in Ancient India. Nichiren Daishonin discovered, hidden deep within the teachings of the Lotus Sutra, that chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo was the key to unlocking our potential. He first chanted Nam Myoho Renge Kyo on April 28, 1253.

How does chanting 4 or 5 words over and over again have such an effect?

I can confidently say I still don’t quite know the answer. There’s something mystical about it. It’s not something my mind can answer.

Final note about other religions and religious views. I was born Hindu and grew up in a Hindu family. I went to schools that consisted of students and teachers that were primarily Christian, Jewish, and Catholic. In college, I explored many different religions, including these that I just mentioned, in addition to the self-realization fellowship teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda. I also studied Bhagavad-Gita, the Koran, the Old and New Testaments, the Torah, the Dhammapada, and some works by Zen Buddhists. In my studies of each of these, I came across problematic issues that were never resolved.

As but one example, I've always had issues with blind faith and the idea that we have no way of scientifically proving the existence of God. I also had issues with shifting responsibility to things or beings outside of ourselves, because I've seen all too often how such a shift in responsibilty allows people to provide excuses for their own inaction, "bad luck", or other misfortunes.

Nichiren Buddhism is all about taking responsibility for everything in your life, and finding or creating value in everything you do. While I was hesitant about the chanting at first, after I learned how to chant it became not only enjoyable, but I felt better.

Nichiren Buddhism also does not require, unlike other schools of buddhist thought, to eliminate or stamp out all desires. Hence no need to move to a cave in the Himalayas (although in college this thought highly appealed to me at times)...indeed, in Nichiren Buddhism one's desires are actually the source of enlightenment. This was crucial to me -- because as a human being, I think it is only natural that we have desires.

I should also mention that different "schools" have arisen even within Nichiren Buddhism. Some schools have priests which demand or argue that people can only achieve enlightenment through them. I do not believe you need any kind of intermediary between yourself and your Buddhahood. Not only did Shakyamuni Buddha say this, but so did Nichiren Daishonin. As such, there are no priests in the Soka Gakkai! Your achieving your enlightenment and unlocking your Buddhahood is entirely and completely up to you.